Saturday, March 22, 2008

In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies



Okay, so I realize I have just blogged about a movie a day ago, but I just saw one of the funniest and heartwarming movies I have seen in a long time so I JUST HAVE TO BLOG ABOUT IT. I don't even know if anyone reads this thing, but I just feel like I should share my thoughts because I really like to do that.
Horton Hears A Who! is the film that I had the privilege of viewing. My friend wanted to see it, but I kind of wanted to see Never Back Down preferably for the cheesy title and this one hot guy in the movie- I swear I'm not that shallow. Anyway, I decided that my money would probably be better spent at Horton, even though it did seem like it would be a movie just intended for people under the age of thirteen. But I went anyway, it looked cute.
Boy was I wrong. This movie is for ALL AGES; it is funny, sweet, happy, and it sends a message that you should stand up for what you believe in. It follows an elephant, Horton, played by Jim Carrey, who is a little bit eccentric and optimistic. One day, he hears a noise from a spec. Yes, a spec. It turns out that this spec is home to a bunch of Whos in Whoville. The mayor, played by Steve Carrel, is hilarious and a little neurotic with his 96 daughters and one son, JoJo. Horton must prove to his fellow animal friends, including a nosy Kangaroo (Carol Burnett) and a sarcastic mouse (Seth Rogan), that this spec really does have people living on it.
This movie is obviously animated but there are camera angles and lighting to convey different feelings and perceptions. There are closeups of Horton and the mayor, and shadowy depictions of Vlad, the somewhat evil but mostly crazy, vulture. Along with the shots and lighting, there is diagetic music that fits right in; happy and peppy at most parts, but also fast and harsh at moments of climax. Everything seems well and put together in this movie.
Horton Hears A Who! is truly for everyone of all ages, and I can assure you that I laughed out loud and felt a warm feeling at the end of this movie.

No comments: